What is Digital Marketing?
“Instead of one-way interruption, Web marketing is about delivering useful content at just the right moment that a buyer needs it.”–David Meerman Scott
People shop and learn in a whole new way compared to just a few years ago so marketers need to adapt or risk extinction.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the component of marketing that utilizes internet and online based digital technologies such as desktop computers, mobile phones or any other digital medium or platforms to promote products and services.
Simply put, digital marketing refers to any marketing initiative that leverages online media and the internet through connected devices such as mobile phones, home computers, or the Internet of Things (IoT). This includes text messaging, instant messaging, video, apps, podcasts, electronic billboards, digital television and radio channels, etc.
Digital platforms became increasingly incorporated into marketing plans and everyday life, as people around the world have increased the usage of digital devices instead of visiting physical shops.
Digital marketing revolves around these 5Ds: digital devices, digital platforms, digital media, digital data, and digital technology. The 5Ds facilitate efficient interaction between the brand and its target audience as well as provide insights into market behaviour for better business strategy formulation and implementation.
History of Digital Marketing
A generation ago, consumers were at the mercy of advertisers who spoon-fed them marketing messages across a few media channels: print, billboards, television, radio. In the 1950s, advertising was primarily a one-way conversation with a captive audience. Experts were the style makers.
With the explosion of digital media, people began to engage with each other. Digital channels have opened doors for consumers. Marketers no longer drive the discussion. Everyday consumers are now the style makers and trendsetters.
Why is Digital Marketing Important?
Selling through online platforms has now become trendy today and it will continue and seize to exist until there will be another better way of selling. So, the best answer of the question that why digital marketing requires these days is that it is the best opportunity for businessmen to promote their business on large scale with easy access to customers as well as with low advertisement cost.
- Digital Marketing is a very Convenient way of Marketing
- Main Backbone is Content Making as Content is the Brand of your platform
- If you got the Best Search Engine Optimization, you are on the Fire
- Digital marketing gives out the Equal and Fair Chance to all kinds and types of Businesses
Importance of Digital Marketing during the Pandemic
As COVID-19 spreads across the globe, people everywhere are learning to cope with a new way of living. While it may seem counterintuitive to boost spending during a global crisis, now is the perfect time to experiment.
The companies that are best positioned to survive in this environment are those that had already begun to pivot to a digital marketplace.While many small companies focus on organic marketing efforts like social media and traditional outreach, paid media is becoming more important in the fight for customer attention online.
Types of Digital Marketing
There are two ways we can do Digital marketing – Online and Offline
Offline Digital Marketing
- Radio marketing
- TV marketing
- Phone marketing
Online Digital Marketing
There are 7 types of online digital marketing:
- Search engine optimization: In order to rank a website on top of the organic search engine results pages (SERPs), marketers implement a digital marketing strategy known as search engine optimization (SEO).
- Step #1: Create a List of Keywords
- Step #2: Analyse Google’s First Page
- Step #3: Create Something Different or Better
- Step #4: Add a Hook
- Step #5: Optimize For On-Page SEO
- Step #6: Optimize For Search Intent
- Step #7: Make Your Content Look Awesome
- Step #8: Build Links to Your Page
- Search engine marketing:In order to advertise your website on the paid search ad results on Google, you will need to sign up for a Google Ads account and implement a digital marketing strategy known as search engine marketing (SEM).
- Content marketing:It is a long-term strategy that focuses on building a strong relationship with your target audience by giving them high-quality content that is very relevant to them on a consistent basis.
5 Types of Content Marketing are – Blog Content Marketing, Info graphic Content Marketing, Podcast Content Marketing, Video Content Marketing and Social Media Content Marketing.
- Social media marketing: Social media marketing is the process of creating tailored content for each social media platform to drive engagement and promote your business. Social media marketing is all about connecting with your audience or customers and helping them understand your brand better. It is incredibly beneficial to your business growth.
- Pay-per-click advertising: Pay-per-click is a form of paid advertising that allows marketing teams to essentially purchase traffic to their website. Marketers place ads on websites or search engines, and pay a fee each time the ad is clicked on. These ads often appear at the top of the search results page, andare typically determined by bids on specific keywords, while banner ads on websites usually have set prices.
- Affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing is similar to referral programs; it involves working with outside individuals or companies under the agreement that they promote your product in exchange for a commission from each sale that can be attributed to their efforts.
An example of affiliate marketing would be when an ad running on a podcast or radio show offers a discount code for listeners to use when purchasing the product. The customer may receive 30% off their purchase, for example, and in return, the show gets a small percentage of each purchase that is made using the code.
- Email marketing: Email marketing campaigns allow organizations to stay connected with prospects and customers, sending those customized newsletters or offers based on past shopping history or brand engagements.Nearly 60% of consumers say that email plays a role in their purchase decisions.
Benefits of Digital Marketing
Using digital marketing, you can reach an enormous audience in a way that is both cost-effective and measurable.
Other benefits of online marketing include:
- The ability to reach a global marketplace
- The ability to interact with your prospects and learn exactly what they are looking for
- Get to know your audience and allow them to know you personally which can help to create brand loyalty
- You can save money and reach more customers for less money than traditional marketing methods
- You can track responses to your marketing efforts immediately
Career in Digital Marketing
As more companies turn to online advertising to reach a wider audience, digital marketing jobs continue to grow.There are many digital marketing careers available, but you’ll need a solid understanding of all techniques in the scope of digital marketing to succeed in 2021, especially considering the new challenges the pandemic has created.
Digital marketing managers in the United States earn average annual salaries of more than $75,000. Bloggers and YouTubers also have opportunities to write and video blogs professionally for digital marketing purposes. Some more high-paying digital marketing roles include social media marketing specialists, PPC experts, digital marketing consultants, digital analytics experts, and search engine optimization (SEO) managers.
Through dedicated online training, you can learn all you need to know about social media, PPC, SEO, web analytics, email, and content and mobile marketing so you can launch and maintain effective campaigns.
Digital Marketing has now become the popular stream in India where every business is stepping into the new strategy to build a high competitive strength. To increase the customers as well as to make the business a supreme one digital marketing is the leading way to foster the business.
Hence, equip yourself with the skills, insights, and knowledge to be a highly effective digital marketer and generate a positive and measurable impact on your company’s bottom line.
If you have a certain amount of digital marketing experience and want to enhance your digital marketing career, we would recommend you to check our Digital Marketing Certification Program today to take your career to the next level!